Monday, July 06, 2015

Man claims to be the first to go to the toilet on a pogo stick

Pogo stick world record holder, Jack Sexty, has revealed how he thinks he may have set inadvertently made his way in to the Guinness book. The Bristol man smashed a world record in America last week by achieving 88,047 consecutive bounces on a pogo stick in a 10 hour and 20 minute showdown, beating the previous record of 75,005.



Jack was competing for the consecutive bounce title against the current world champion Casie Merza and previous record-holder James Roumeliotis in Philadelphia. But the 25-year-old from St Anne's said he thought he may have set another record as the only person to go to the toilet on a pogo stick. He said: "Someone just held a pot below me as I was jumping. I had only met the guy who offered to hold it about 48 hours before. I couldn't be very accurate.

"I also had to have a personal towel holder. I went one-footed for a while, which I'm usually really good at but this was six hours in and I was starting to struggle. My feet were hurting so badly that I just needed something to help with the pain. It got so boring at some points. I really wanted to ring my mum so I got someone to hold the phone as I bounced and I spoke to her on speaker phone. At other times, I was just thinking about when it would be over and I didn't want to speak to anyone. It's all psychological.



"I could probably have carried on for another couple of thousand bounces but after ten hours, I could see in everyone's faces that they just didn't want me to. I really didn't expect the challenge to be so physical. I had pain around my knees from hugging the stick. I also suffered severe arm cramp and had to go one-handed for a time. At another point it felt like I'd broken my foot - I spent an entire hour balancing on the pogo pegs with just my toes." Jack was raising money for Alzheimer's Research UK, in honour of a close relative living with dementia.

No comments: