Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Swearing workshops help boost awareness of sign language at Australian festival

Barry Priori, a profoundly deaf sign language instructor for Deaf Can: Do, a service provider for Adelaide's deaf and hearing impaired community, wants to get more people interested in sign language.



Mr Priori will be running a series of 'swearing workshops' at this year's Adelaide Fringe festival.

For a small donation, Fringe goers will be able to pull a naughty word out of a "swear jar" and learn how to sign it.



"Hearing people have their swear words, but they don't know what our visual signs are for those swear words," Mr Priori said. "I think it's fair that everyone knows what they look like."

With short video.

3 comments:

Elena said...

And I thot swearing already has one international sign language.

Nell said...

I'm fluent in British Sign Language and use it every day in my job. I remember having formal tuition about swear words - you have to be able to recognise them even if you don't use them (which of course I never do ...). They are the only signs my other half has ever remembered however.

arbroath said...

Hahaha, Nell! :)